Welcome to my blog!

I hope you enjoy your visit ~ and I pray that you are encouraged to have a God-focus as you leave.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Tangled Ashes {book review}


Tangled Ashes by Michele Phoenix

Conservative and a little leery of modern fiction, I hesitated for most of the summer to pick from Tyndale's fiction list. I have been pleasantly surprised! At first I was unconcerned with--and leery of--the book's hero, Beck, who is a somewhat  reluctant recovering alcoholic. It was the story's subplot, beginning in the prelude and continued through flashbacks that kept me in the story at first. What does a WWII abandoned baby and a modern-day reconstruction of an ancient castle have in common?
 

The fact that it was not romantic love but rather friendship and, I trust the less obvious thread of God's love and salvation to play a factor as well, and the hope issuing from both, that conquerors in the end. I'm all for a morally good love story with at least a hint of reality: but reality does not usually see a man taking a 90-day job assignment in Paris, falling in love, and putting his life back in order. In 90 days. And neither does Beck...or the little WWII baby...but the hope lingers that this was only the beginning.
 

While not all the books by a single author are created equal, I do look forward to reading more from Michele Phoenix and seeing what she has to offer!

{Written for inclusion in Tyndale's Summer Reading program!}
 

No comments:

Post a Comment