Some nanny moments are funny.
~First day back with the twins after getting back from Israel:
R: did you see Jesus?
Me: Well, Jesus is in heaven. I just saw where He lived when He was on earth J
R: did you see Jesus?
Me: Well, Jesus is in heaven. I just saw where He lived when He was on earth J
~Afternoon with a 2-year old:
H: (picking up his toy phone)—Daddy at work. Call Daddy. Hi! [Lots of gibberish.] Still here with Laura. Ok. Bye.
H: (picking up his toy phone)—Daddy at work. Call Daddy. Hi! [Lots of gibberish.] Still here with Laura. Ok. Bye.
~After telling the twins that people in Japan eat bugs for a snack the week before, we were walking home right before snack time...
Me: did you girls decide what we should have for snack?
R: um...I think we should have...grasshoppers!
~Name variations for Laura…
“Laurla!”
“Miss Yaurya”
“Waurwa” and the shortened version, “Wa.”
“Laurla!”
“Miss Yaurya”
“Waurwa” and the shortened version, “Wa.”
![]() |
| "doing my hair" |
Some are precious.
~A: I want to play with you!
~A: Can we do it tomorrow?
Me: I actually won’t be here tomorrow. Grammy will be here.
A: Oh. I’ll miss you!
Me: I actually won’t be here tomorrow. Grammy will be here.
A: Oh. I’ll miss you!
Some are convicting.
The time when one of the twins was not taking turns very well, and I
got a little annoyed. “A, you need to take turns. Please be patient.” Just a
little annoyed—barely. But she caught it. And although she was sad, it took me
awhile to admit that I should apologize for it. But finally…“I’m sorry I wasn’t
being patient as I was asking you to be patient.” Admitting that I shouldn’t
have reacted that way, as slight as it was, was hard. Being a little annoyed is
a sin? Yes.
Some are hard.
That moment as I rocked Baby Girl to sleep for the last
time, when I started to lay her down in her crib and hesitated, and finally
with tears I at last let go and walked out of the room.
The moment when the confused and haunting eyes of 2 1/2 year
old Big Brother looked at me and said, "I want to see you tomorrow."
In that moment, there was no answer, as I knew that "tomorrow" would
find him in a car all day moving out of state.
Letting go. Job searching. The last four months have been a
journey that I never thought I’d be taking (and knew for less than 2 weeks
before it actually happened!). I miss being “Wa.” I miss the wagon rides. I
miss a lot of things. I miss them.
![]() |
| playing at the park that last night... |
Some are surprising.
Six new nanny children this fall—and all of them fell in
love with me immediately. I can’t usually be accused of being a people magnet! (Oh,
except daughter #2 in family #1 who apparently doesn’t take to many people…and
I have since figured out to be in her good graces. I know how to bribe when
certain occasions call for it. J)
The opportunity to cuddle babies. Good times with little friends. Opportunities to share Gospel truths with little people.
![]() |
| those pigtails!! :) |
In all moments are the Everlasting Arms. They never leave
me, and always hold me up. They give grace for the letting go, for the
patience, in the conviction and in the laughter.
In the midst of this crazy fall schedule, I have been
incredibly grateful for the Friend who never leaves me, the Savior who kindly
convicts, the Father who gives laughter.
I am grateful I get to nanny—children are such a blessing.
Humbling, sometimes…but even that is a blessing in the long run. J I have 8 blessings I
see every week, not to mention a handful of others that occasionally pop up.
Not exactly the simple nanny life of before, but nevertheless still proof of
the Everlasting Arms.






No comments:
Post a Comment