“When I wish to be selfish and serve no one, I must die.”
Story of my life.
I’m a phlegmatic—who tend to be nice but also lean way too
often toward selfishness.
I’m a planner—not that every single day is planned out
minutely, but when I do, that time is mine.
I’m also human—I have long days, bad days, and come home
tired and just want to be by myself. Sometimes I’m sick. Sometimes I’m just in
a bad mood.
But in each of those areas and situations, I must die. Life is not about Laura.
Life is about Jesus Christ. I do not portray the glory of Christ when I wear a
scowl or ignore the clean dishes in the dishwasher or don’t stop to ask family
members about their day or a million other things that I do.
It is often easy to overlook and ignore the character flaws
that occur in everyday mundane activities and situations. Responses and reactions happen quickly. It’s
takes too much energy to deal with it. But
I must die. Jesus will never look at me and say “congratulations for
following your schedule!” but I do desire Him to say, “Well done, good and
faithful servant.”
The question is…how much do I desire it? Enough to give the
energy and attention to die to sin and self?


Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteI love you.
Love,
Mom