This verse has been an encouragement to me this year—and a challenge.
This verse tells me who I am: “we are His workmanship.” I belong. I was lovingly created.
This verse tells me I have a purpose: “created in Christ Jesus for good works.” Every day, every breathing moment, I have a purpose. I am to serve my King! I do this foremost by cultivating the relationship I have with Him (think of the Ephesian church in Revelation 2:1-7. They labored for the Gospel but Jesus tells them in verse 4 that “I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first”); then I live out that relationship in practical ways to those whom God has put in my life.
This verse tells me that God has specific things in mind for me to do: “which God prepared beforehand.” I need not fear that I am useless or without talent or what I do does not matter. God has something in mind and He saved me so that I could do them! Does that sound unimportant?
This verse also tells me that I have a responsibility: “that we should walk in them.” The works are prepared, ready to go—but I must live out in faith and do them. I can react in fear, in disappointment, in self-pity, in frustration…you name it. But I have a responsibility to act in obedience to the will of God, performing that for which I was saved!


No comments:
Post a Comment