Grandma Wanda comes
over most Wednesdays by bus. For school requirements, I had to take local
transportation at least once, so Jordan, Audrie, and I took the bus with
Grandma Wanda back to her near-the-beach apartment. Grandma Wanda went to her
apartment, but the rest of us went walking along the beach.
The ride took quite
a while, as the bus continuously stopped and started, letting people on and off
as needed. Once we parted ways with Grandma Wanda, we got as close to the ocean
as we could and just watched it for a time. Then we walked. We had all afternoon
and no plan. We stopped at a stand off the sidewalk and bought açai. Açai is
similar to frozen yogurt--maybe a cross between frozen yogurt and a snow cone
in texture. It was made right before us, with layers of açai, the staple
sweetened condensed milk, granola, and topped with bananas. That first one was
the best we had (we had one at a mall later on, but I think eating it in along
the beach worked wonders).
We wandered through
the market, mostly window shopping. We bought a few keychains, and Audrie and I
eyed the blankets we were both planning to buy later.
Ready for another
snack, we had tapioca. This is kind of like a tortilla. It starts off as a
flour sprinkled on the griddle and cooks into a tortilla-type base. Then you
can choose your filling--anything from bacon and chicken to chocolate and
bananas. I don't even remember what I had that first time (yes, this was also
the first of many), only that I was pleasantly relieved that it tasted nothing
like America's tapioca pudding. And not only that, it was really good.
While we were
sitting there, a couple of kids came by and tried to sell us wide-brimmed straw
hats. "You would look so beautiful!" But we resisted. Neither Audrie
or I are hat people, really.
Before we left, a
weathered man with a guitar came by. He began to sing, and our
Portuguese-speaking friend Jordan loosely translated that he was making up
rhymes about us, the three American friends. Jordan had to tell him we weren't
related; he and so many others who saw a bunch of light-brunette and blonde
people together automatically supposed brothers and sisters.
![]() |
| Audrie and I at the same beach, a more windy and colder day |
Pastor Roger had
said not to bring our phones on the bus, so we were without our photo-taking
devices all afternoon, something Audrie and I bemoaned quite often, wishing we
had the means to photo-document that wonderful afternoon! Nevertheless, it
remains one of my favorite Brazil memories.


No comments:
Post a Comment