Welcome to my blog!

I hope you enjoy your visit ~ and I pray that you are encouraged to have a God-focus as you leave.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Beginning


Three months ago, Audrie and I set off on an adventure. 
 


 

We had over 350 pounds of luggage with us (at least 250 of it was stuff for the missionaries we were visiting), and well...neither us lift weights exactly. I think when we set out our goal was to last the next 24 hours with all our luggage in tow without causing any scenes. 
 
just my luggage...three check bags, a carry-on, and a personal item!
(plus my travel pillow :) )
 

We had ridiculously great flights. We had a whole three seats to ourselves on our international flight. Customs in Rio was no big deal (except that they waved Audrie through and so for a few minutes she didn't know what had happened to me...but it was just for a few minutes). 
 
 

We got to be bussed out to the plane in Rio and walk up the steps (we probably thought that was a little cooler than it really was). 
 
 

And then Pastor Roger, Jordan, and James were waiting on the other side of security in Maceió, ready to relieve us of our multiple pounds of luggage. :) 

James talked non-stop. Juliana talked non-stop. We were shown to the little guest house in the backyard that was to be our home for the next month.

And then it was time to go to Tuesday night Bible study, basic at its core with the idea of it being a good place to bring your unsaved friends. Jordan, Audrie and I loaded up with Pastor Roger, and then we picked up Alessandro--he was my first Brazilian friend!--and went to an apartment building close to the ocean shoreline. It was dark when we got there--it gets dark between 5-6 all year round--but Pastor Roger pointed out their balcony window. "Right out there is the ocean!" I could make out a faint movement of the water lapping the beach, silhouetted by Palm trees. 

I think that's when I first met Camila, and Tarciso was there, too. Audrie shared her testimony, but the rest was in Portuguese and the overnight, not-much-sleep flight was catching up to me. I fought hard for awareness! Well, you try to stay awake after a 20+ hour trip and the talking around you might as well be a lullaby for all you understand. (By the end of the week, it did start to sound more like words, but at first it was just a mumble of something!) 

After Bible study, back at home, Audrie and I settled into the guest house for our first night there. She had the front room and I had the back. The breeze and night noises floated in through the open windows. We met our first lizard friend in the bathroom as we brushed out teeth. And sleep was good. Sunset at 5:30 means sunrise is also at 5:30...and we couldn't sleep much later than that. 
 
 

But then, it's not everyday we wake up in Brazil, is it?!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment